Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Off Hiatus

I hate to report it's been well over a year from my last posting. OMG, what happened? Life I would say and my urge to be a responsible adult and save money. Now, I can be irresponsible and eat out as much as I want because I've cleared up some debt which makes me free to splurge. While starving myself to death I did find a few gems that I want to share with the world.

Mark's Caribbean Cuisine
It's a cute mom and pop place off of Dean and University. The strip mall it's in is a bit sketchy, but from my experience being scared for a few minutes for good food is worth it. The place reminds me of a place you would see in the islands with bright wall colors and ceiling fans to match. There are postings of concerts and artists coming to the area which I believe is a prerequisite for all Caribbean restaurants in America.

On to the food...there's one meal designated for us. The vegetarian plate is a hodgepodge of vegetables served over rice that's either curried or stewed and a side of plantains. I ordered my veggies curried and I have to say my nose was running like a river. Translation, the curry was spicy, but still very tasty. The portion can serve two people or great leftovers. I don't like to share so, I had it the next day and I thought it was even better.

Mark's Caribbean Cuisine is a good stop in, but don't expect much bells and whistles you get good food and should only expect that.

Wasabi Sushi
This place was a nice surprise. BrittBerry and I were in the mood for Chinese food and nothing growdy, but good stuff. We ventured to find the closest P F Changs however the wait was something ridiculous like 2 hours or 90 minutes which is still 2 hours to me. We left (go figure) and tried to figure out where we would find another place pretty quickly. Well to our surprise there was a sushi place right across the street. We were both hungry enough to experiment so we took a leap of faith and drove across the street.

Upon entering the place it was packed, which is always a good indicator. We were seated outside at a funky craftsman table. I thought I was in a tree needless to say it was a bit awkward, but I was hungry so who cared. Our server came out shortly and went through the menu with us, I was started to like the place even more. He had a sense of humor which made the experience even better. I mentioned my requirements and he seemed genuinely interested to find me something to eat. He was honest on how the food was prepared and steered me away from things that I thought I wanted to eat, but there might have been a surprise in it (like pork). I settled on the Buddha Delight which was AMAZING.

I initially thought it was great because I was hungry, but I've come to realize it was just good. The vegetables were cooked to perfection and there was the right amount of brown sauce mixed in. The white rice wasn't too sticky (which I hate) or dry (which I hate even more). I even ate my carrots which for some reason is not a favorite nowadays. I was stuffed because the portion was huge, but my brain was sending signals "YOU MUST FINISH MEAL NOW". I know I'm being silly, but I did hear that voice so I kept eating.

Since my initial visit, I've been back and I still enjoy the dish. There are a few really cool roll options too, but I always settle in to my favorite. Be prepared to spend a little this is no fast food place, they use glass and real silverware. I would send anyone who likes Asian cuisine to this place in a heartbeat.

Friends sorry for the wait but I'M BACK, READY TO READ AND WRITE.

No comments:

Post a Comment