Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Sabotage

It's been at least 2 weeks with no new blog. Not sure if this is a coup de'tat or what! But, my partner in food crime Viv, is avoiding going to another local vegetarian restaurant. First, she was sick. Now, she's saying she's too hungry to go to a vegetarian place. What is she implying? You can get full at a vegetarian restaurant, I do. Did she miss the memo that we are on a mission to find new places for vegetarians and I have to write about it? She has become a staple in all the stories. Can't she sacrifice eating a burger just once a week? Come on, am I asking her to give me her first born? No! I'm being reasonable, aren't I?

For two weeks friends, she's said I can pick the place and for two weeks we've mysteriously ended up at places like El Cerro's and Giovannis, so random. I guess I can write about these places since they aren't chain restaurants (I think) but there's a piece of me that thinks it's cheating. I'm trying my hardest to get back on the wagon. But, I'm afraid if Viv doesn't get with the program soon and stop screwing around, I'll have to replace her with a new foodie. I mean business! Alright back to the reviews, what you need to know about the two places I've been hoodwinked to dine.

El Cerro's is good if you like Mexican. You get fresh chips and salsa with your meal, which I do appreciate. I could probably eat the chips and salsa all day long if I didn't pay attention. The salsa is a good mix of chunk and run; you know, not too chunky but not watery. It has a nice kick too. I don't enjoy tearing up when I'm eating salsa, it just messes up the flow. My nose starts to run, I have to wipe the tears while avoiding burning my eyes. Just too much to do when I'm trying to enjoy a meal. I want to dip and enjoy in two moves, is that too much to ask.

If you're nice you might get a few colorful chips and if you're like me, you eat those first because they make me happy. As far as the meal there's a small vegetarian section on the menu. I ordered the mushroom quesadilla which comes with rice and guac. I don't too much care for the guacamole, it's a little weird looking and tasting like something is added to it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something is a little off. Viv enjoys it though, but who cares what she thinks since she's messing up the progress. El Cerro's is usually really crowded for lunch. So if you it annoys you to yell at your friends who are sitting right next to you avoid going around lunch. It's reasonably priced and there's a vegetarian section. I guess you can go on a date, but you probably should take your sweetie when you don't have anything to prove. El Cerro's gets a gold star and a quick lick from me.

Giovanni's is another Italian restaurant; same scenario as the other place. I definitely needed a few Tums before bed after having the baked ziti. I don't know what's going on, I'm either getting old or marina sauce should always be accompanied with Tums. At any rate, I enjoyed the garlic knots, the bread and even the bruschetta more than my meal. Not too many options for veg heads, but I guess we can't have everything. The server was nice and I definitely got the sense it was a family and/or date spot. Not sure if that's a good mix, but I saw couples and families. You take your pick. Giovanni's gets a decent burb from me but not a fave.

That's it, no funny stories, blah, blah, blah. Hopefully, the next posting will be from a place where we really care about, j/k all restaurants are important. Life would not be the same without me eating out, but I want to get back to veggie restaurants. I enjoy having options, that's all. Who doesn't enjoy options? Let's keep our fingers crossed and taste buds ready hopefully Viv get's the message...until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Lynell, you know what I don't see on the menu??

    Meat!!!

    ReplyDelete