Thursday, April 9, 2009

Take me to Athens!

This week's trip was to an old time favorite, Athens Cafe. It's a cute mom and pop spot in Oviedo. Look at that, I just rhymed, kind of. Viv and I visit the place for the great tzatziki sauce and for the waitress Nicole. She's awesome! Once we take our seats at the usual second booth to the right, our drinks are soon to follow, Dr. Pepper for me and a Coke for Viv. For my vegetarian friends this place has meat; it's traditional Greek food. To quote it best , " Aunt Voula: What do you mean he don't eat no meat? [the entire room stops, in shock] Aunt Voula: Oh, that's okay. I make lamb" from My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Have no fear there are a few things on the menu for us, of the none lamb persuasion. I usually order up the veggie pita or the portebello mushroom panini. It just depends on my mood, somethimes I like to be wild and crazy and eat lots of veggies. Both sandwhiches are really good and are definite tummy fillers. You have a choice of sides, I always order fries so I can indulge in a little more of the tzatziki sauce. Which by the way, I never pronounce correctly! The tzzzz sound is complicated. But the service is so good, Nicole just brings out an order of tzatziki with warm pita slices to avoid hearing me butcher the word. You have to try the sauce with fries, so good. If you're nice to Nicole she might even bring out extra sauce; she does for me! Anywho, if you are strict no cross contimination veg head, Athens Cafe might not be for you. However, if you can handle a little lamb being close by, try the place.

Athens Cafe get's a good licking from my taste buds for good I can't pronounce it sauce, food and service. It's reasonably priced for lunch and dinner, huge portion sizes and good family atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment